Re: Thylacine Postscript

In a message dated 5/16/02 3:40:30 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
dannj@alphalink.com.au writes:

<<  I could have been mistaken. On comparison, the angle of the head in
the photo and Knight's work is exactly the same, but there are
differences in the angles of the limbs. When I first saw the Knight
painting it reminded me strongly of the photograph. It could just be
coincidence that the two animals were stiking similar poses at a similar
angle to the observer. I thought it too much of a coincidence at the
time. Sometimes Occam's Razor doesn't work... >>

       Indeed. It is unfortunate that Knight's reputation was impugned
publicly like this. Perhaps the next time a matter like this comes up it
could best be phrased in the form of a question. As I said before, Charles
Knight would be perhaps the last natural history artist one would expect to
copy a photograph. Unjustly accusing him of doing so is a very serious
matter. DV