Re: Such a loss

>>rtravsky@uwyo.edu writes:
>>

>>> NY Times - they require registering
>>>
>>> http://www.nytimes.com/2002/05/20/obituaries/20CND-GOULD.html
>>>
>>> Stephen Jay Gould, the evolutionary theorist at Harvard University whose
>>> lectures, research and prolific output of essays helped to reinvigorate
>>> the field of paleontology, died today at his home in Manhattan. He was 60
>>> years old. The cause was adenocarcinoma, his wife, Rhonda Roland Schearer,
>>> said.

++++++++++++++++++++++

His death was a sad inevitability. Recent events over the past few years were
hinting at his declining health (cancer affliction, pulling out of Natural
History Magazine) and losing him also means losing one of the key players in so
many areas of evolutionary thought, including the still important section
devoted to keeping it legal to teach in public schools.

I had always hoped to meet him in person, as he was an idol of mine. I agree
with HP Steve Brusatte, Dr. Gould accomplished more in his lifetime than most
of us could hope to imagine.

R.I.P. Steven Jay Gould

Jura