K MAMMAL TRACK, JOBARIA, NEOCOMIAN

This email concerns various recent DML threads.

On Cretaceous mammal or mammal-like tracks, Ray
Stanford asked...

>     Can anyone provide me with references to papers on possibly
>     related Cretaceous tracks?

See... Sarjeant, W. A. & Thulborn, R. A. 1986. Probable
marsupial footprints from the Cretaceous sediments of
British Columbia. _Can. J. Earth Sci._ 23, 1223-1227.

McCrea, R. T. & Sarjeant, W. A. 2001. New ichnotaxa of
bird and mammal footprints from the Lower Cretaceous
(Albian) Gates Formation of Alberta. In Tanke, D. H. &
Carpenter, K. (eds) _Mesozoic Vertebrate Life_ Indiana Uni
Press (Bloomington & Indianapolis), pp. 413-454.

Tracy and Marco Auditore recently discussed application of
the term 'Neocomian' in Cretaceous stratigraphy.

I have been told by experienced stratigraphers that this term
has actually been outlawed: some workers (including
invertebrate palaeontologists) clearly feel very strongly that
its use should be prevented as they regard it as misleading.
There are references that back this up (I don't have them to
hand) so it is surprising to see Neocomian still used in some
modern literature. I learnt all this after showing an overhead
at a conference in which the term was used (the diagram on
the overhead was actually from Benton & Spencer's _Fossil
Reptiles of Great Britain_).

George recently posted _Jobaria tenerensis_ as a new
combination. The 'alternatively' spelt _Jobaria tiquidensis_
[sic - q instead of g] is used in Walker, C. & Ward, D. 2000.
_Dorling Kindersley Handbooks: Fossils_ DK (London
etc), pp. 320.

Darren Naish
University of Portsmouth
Burnaby Building
Burnaby Road                           email:
darren.naish@port.ac.uk
PO1 3QL                                www.palaeobiology.co.uk