Re: Vestigial Arms

> Date: Tue, 21 May 2002 21:13:26 -0600
> From: Jura <archosaur@reptilis.net>
>
>> Komodo monitors can follow their prey that way for _15 days_. I
>> don't think an endothermic tyrannosaur could do that, could it?
>
> Ah, but since endothermy (sensu Bakker, Paul and most other
> advocates) is far from proven in any dinosaur, it remains a
> possibility.

Even assuming a fully endothermic tyrannosaur, and even assuming that
a hadrosaur with a rex-sized lump bitten out of it can keep moving for
fifteen days, I'm not so sure the hunter couldn't wait it out.  The
time an animal can go without eating scales with body mass to some
power (< 1 but > 0!) so that mice and shrews need to eat pretty much
constantly, but lions can comfortably fast for days.  Come to that, a
healthy human can fast for fifteen days with no real ill effects.

Does anyone have figures for fasting durations of extant endothermic
predators?

)_v__/\  "I think the idea behind PhyloCode is to get all the bickering
         done now so the future generations don't have to worry about
         it" -- T. Michael Keesey