RE: Vestigial Arms (was: Theropod limbs - how mobile?)

On Wed, 22 May 2002 17:47:30
 Jura wrote:
>Do we have enough associated tyrannosaur forelimb material (i.e. with a
>skeleton that we can get some decent measurments off of) to determine if there
>might have been sexual dimorphism there?

Well, probably not (at least not enough for a good sample).  But, I believe
that Carpenter (in his Dinosaur Systematics paper) outlined a general
robust/gracile dichotomy in _Tyrannosaurus_ humeri.  Pete Larson seconds this
hypothesis in his latest book (which I was lucky enough to recieve an advanced
copy of).  However, he presents no real evidence for it, but only cites
Carpenter's work and mentions that it "agrees" with his chevron hypothesis.

Plus, we have to remember that humeri are some of the rarer _Tyrannosaurus_
bones known.  Hopefully some of Horner's recent discoveries will consist of
some humeral material.

Steve

---
Steve Brusatte-DINO LAND PALEONTOLOGY
SITE: http://www.geocities.com/stegob

Outgrown your current e-mail service?
Get a 25MB Inbox, POP3 Access, No Ads and No Taglines with LYCOS MAIL PLUS.
http://login.mail.lycos.com/brandPage.shtml?pageId=plus