Re: Any more news on Horner's _T.rex_ digs? (it's all about the limbs)

Yes, I'm obsessed with the Big Guy (_T.rex_, NOT Horner!). I'm still mercilessly teased by the prospect of a slew of new _T.rex_ specimens to learn from...

-Chris Srnka

You mean those digs where T.rexes found in older layers then previously though, when scaled beside the more "modern" T.rexes, was supposed to "prove" Horner's theory on how T.rex (and Tyrannosaurids in general) were developing less gracile limbs as they progressed and hence were scavengers because they could not catch their prey? I've not heard much about the new T.rexes found by Horner, except his fixation on their limbs and apparent 10 percent larger size then Sue.

How strong is the "it-was-too-ungracile-to-catch-prey" argument anyway? Despite it's apparent proportions, T.rex was still more gracile then any of its potential prey items. So a race of the cripples it becomes. All the talk about T.rex being too slow to catch prey (when ironically it was probably the fastest 6-ton critter around) is somewhat questionable in logic considering Horner never made an effort to explain how the duckbills, which would have been staple Tyrannosaurian chow, could outrun them in the first place. Why point out a T.rex could not do warp nine when it didn't need to do more then warp three to catch prey? It's pretty much like arguing a house cat can't do cheetha-like speeds and therefore could not hunt and catch prey like mice! The duckbill speed equation is ommited from his scavenger rethoric.

Let's not go on about the small limbs, bad eyesight, and swarms of dog-sized top-predator dromies bringing down multi-ton prey...gggrr...no, I'm not bitter about that Discovery pseudodocumentary.