Re: Pachyrhinosaur nasal horn?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Williams, Tim" <TiJaWi@agron.iastate.edu>
Sent: Friday, May 24, 2002 6:29 PM

> David asked why a keratinous horn would be an advantage over a bony horn.
> I can think of one possible explanation: pain.  A keratinous horn is less
> painful when broken.

Actually, I tried to answer this question and asked if keratin is cheaper to
build and maintain (I'm pretty certain it is, but it's not like I knew
numbers or an actual study). And then I wrote "this begs the question" why
there are animals with bony horns then in the first place. This applies
here, too. -- Maybe those that retain bony cores need more stability (it is
more painful when broken, but it breaks less often)? Could there be a way to
test this?