Re: what a croc

In a message dated 5/27/02 7:43:32 AM Pacific Daylight Time, tonyc@foe.co.uk writes:

Mike Taylor wrote:
.  Neither a
>         crocodile nor an alligator, it was an ancestor of both modern
>         groups, but it reached weights of many tons and it had some
>         features unique to the species.

Is there any basis for this claim of ancestral status, or is this just
media over-simplification leading to a nonsensical statement?
Presumably
it is logically impossible to demonstrate ancestor status, but is
Deinosuchus truly a *possible* ancestor of modern crocodilians?

_Deinosuchus_ is not a direct ancestor to any modern crocodilian.  If I remember correctly, according to HP Chris Brochu, it is closer to modern alligators than to modern crocodiles.

--Nick P.