Re: Hell Creek (long)

MariusRomanus@aol.com wrote:

> Let's just say I have never, ever bought into the idea of an impact
> event being the ultimate, one and only, solo cause for the extinction
> of the non-avian dinosaurs.

While I agree with you that it is very unlikely that the Chixulub impact
was the only cause of the demise of the dinosaurs, I do have a couple of
other comments.

> ....the extinction event was supposed to have been much more severe in
> the Northern Hemisphere,......, since the impactor hit at a 30 degree
> angle, pointing directly at North America. The resulting blast energy,
> instead of being directed straight into the earth (as we see at Meteor
> Crater in Arizona), was deflected right into the atmosphere..... with
> the resulting blast wave racing to the north across North America...
> making a b-line straight to Montana where Horner is conducting his
> study.

As you know, for massive impactors the approach angle doesn't have too
much of an effect on crater shape or primary direction of blast wave
(the butterfly blast pattern from the Tunguska impactor appears to have
been due to a quite small event).

> Too bad for the impactor lovers..... The blast wave apparently didn't
> make it to Montana.

Proof?  Quantification?

> I know of no impact event on earth as relatively massive as the one
> that formed the 1,300 km Caloris Basin on Mercury. This impact was so
> huge that is defaced the other side of the planet, directly inline
> with the impact site...

What about the possible earth-splitting impact from a Mars-sized
impactor that is conjectured for the origin of our moon?

> Impacts obviously happen.......They just are not as severe as our
> mathematical models say they should be (Go figure.... Our math could
> be wrong!!!).

That's true.  Or, alternatively our conclusion that the impacts are not
as severe as the mathematical models indicate could be wrong.

>  As far as I know, we don't have a firm understanding of the weather
> patterns during this time which would have dictated the environmental
> effects caused be the volcanics and the impact(s). This means that the
> dinosaurs were not under stress before the impact.

I must be interpreting this incorrectly.  If I understand you correctly,
you are saying that our lack of a firm understanding of the cocurrent
weather patterns means that the dinosaurs were not stressed before the
impact?