Re: How Did Hadrosaurs Survive?

On Sunday, October 27, 2002, at 08:00 AM, Tim Donovan wrote:

[I wrote] Short legs does not = slow.

It is logical, and lambeosaurs were also relatively bulky.

Just because something is logical it does not mean that it is true (many logical statements are false), they must be tested. If longer legs = faster speed, then we should be able to observe a strong correlation in nature. I have put together a list of speed estimates of some large mammals, and I see no such correlation:

Indian Rhinoceros:  56 km/h
Giraffe: 52 km/h
Grizzly Bear: 56 km/h
American Bison: 56 km/h
Warthog: 58 km/h
Camel: 32 km/h
Hippopotamus: 32 km/h
Lion: 58 km/h
Cheetah: 110 km/h

These are not very precise, and open to question, but they do not support the conclusion that longer legs makes for higher speed. In particular I draw your attention to the following:

1) Grizzly Bears and Rhinos are faster than Giraffes, and Warthogs are faster than all of them.

2) Camels and Hippos are roughly equal in speed, despite enormous difference in leg length.

3) Warthogs may be faster than American Bison - despite a similar build and much smaller size.

4) The animal with the second shortest legs (the cheetah) is the fastest.

The differences above are FAR greater than the difference between lambeosaurines and hadrosaurines - the data does not support the conclusion that hadrosaurines were faster.

John Conway, Palaeoartist

"Do I contradict myself? Very well, then I contradict myself, I am large, I contain multitudes." - Walt Whitman

Systematic ramblings: http://homepage.mac.com/john_conway/
Palaeoart: http://homepage.mac.com/john_conway/_palaeoart.html
Skeletals: http://homepage.mac.com/john_conway/_skeletals/