Re: How Did Hadrosaurs Survive? (Was: Hadrosaur "mummy" questions)

Brett Booth wrote:

> > Easy. They learn it from their older siblings. Tyrannosaurs didn't reach
> > full maturity in just one year (not without Proton Energy Pills). If it
> > took up to ten years or so for a tyrannosaur to reach full adulthood,
> > then very young chicks could have observed their older siblings from
> > previous years hunting.
>
> But who taught them? All modern pack animals teach their young how to hunt
> in a pack.

Tyrannosaurs aren't modern animals.

> The main point is that why would you take a juvinile animal, who
> will no doubt screw up the hunt and risk loosing a meal and possibly starve.

Young juveniles (say, a year old) could have concealed themselves and
watched, or been used to scare up prey to determine which ones were
easiest to hunt. Animals that are several years old, but not full
adults, could have guided them, since they probably had several years
experience themselves.

> The juviniles needed to be taught by the most experiance hunters in the pack
> and I don't think sub adults fit this bill.

You are assuming that the adult tyrannosaurs appeared fully formed (ie.
special creation) and then started breeding. In that case, there would
be no-one to teach the young juveniles.

In reality, tyrannosaurs probably had several generations hanging around
at any one time. Hence young juveniles learn from sub-adults (that is,
animals large enough to hunt, but still small enough for sustained
running and manouverability). As the sub-adults grow to full adulthood,
the juveniles that watched them take over the active role, and they
adopt the ambush role that their parents before them had (and that they
had watched). Therefore, full adults teach sub-adults how to ambush,
sub-adults teach juveniles how to hunt, juveniles grow into hunting
sub-adults, and sub-adults grow into ambushing adults.

I beleive that's what some singing anthropormorphised animals refer to
as "the circle of life".