Rinchenia (was: A critique of Lu et al.'s (2002) Oviraptorosaurs compared to birds)

At 22.47 31/10/2002 -0800, you wrote:
While at SVP, Lu was nice enough to give me a copy of his paper-
Lu, Dong, Azuma, Barsbold and Tomida, 2002. Oviraptorosaurs compared to
birds. in Zhou and Zhang eds., Proceedings of the 5th Symposium of the
Society of Avian Paleontology and Evolution. Beijing Science Press, pg.
175-189.
This is another paper advocating avian oviraptorosaurs, along the lines of
Maryanska et al. 2002.  Unfortunately, it has many of the same problems.
The most important aspect of the paper is the illustration of the skull,
sacrum and partial pelvis of IGM 100/2112, an oviraptorid labeled Ingenia
sp., which looks to me more like Citipati.  Jaime Headden confirmed it was
most similar to IGM 100/42, which has been termed Citipati sp. (though still
called Oviraptor philoceratops by Lu et al.).

This is because the paper was written in 2000 or before, but published in 2002. The genus Citipati "born" in the 2001.
For Jaime and Mickey: what is Your idea about "Rinchenia"? From drawn and photo of the skull, seems to me that even this specimen, whit exclusion of the tall crest, is REALLY like to Citipati. Maybe this is the cause for the non-description of this new genus. So we can have the new Citipati mongoliensis (Barsbold, 1986).

Marco

MARCO AUDITORE "Volunteer of Museo Paleontologico Cittadino, Monfalcone" Via S.Giovanni Battista, 7/23 16154 GENOVA SESTRI P. - ITALY Tel: +39-010-6044259 E-mail: maaudito@tin.it Museum Web-Page: http://www.fante.speleo.it