Re: Dinosaur toot numbers

In a message dated 11/2/02 2:26:48 AM EST, qilongia@yahoo.com writes:

<< A better ornithischian would be the closely related *Edmontosaurus
 annectens*, the recorded record holder and long-jawed animal in terms of
 rank and file of tooth positions; *Anatotitan* is I beleive a close
 second, and I may have them backwards, but I was aware that it was
 *annectens* that was the toothier of the two; but hey, they are both
 Lancian edmontosaurs. >>

It may be neither, as Anatotitan longiceps has a longer dentary than either
Edmontosaurus annectens or Anatotitan copei. With these animals a longer
dentary means more tooth rows or, more appropriately, columns. Have to check
Lull & Wright; it might have detailed tooth-row-column counts....

....Checked Lull & Wright and on p 69 they give Cope's count for
"Anatosaurus" copei as circa 1600 (rather less than 2000). "Anatosaurus"
annectens has 43 maxillary tooth rows and 36 dentary tooth rows, versus
"Anatosaurus" copei for which I cannot locate tooth row counts (although
Cope's figure of 1600 suggests about 40-45) and "Anatosaurus" longiceps with
51 dentary tooth rows (maxillae not known). Trouble is these counts change
ontogentically, so a very mature individual might have had even more than 51
dentary tooth rows (e.g.).