Re: Dinosaur toot numbers

Jaime A. Headden wrote:
>   A better ornithischian would be the closely related *Edmontosaurus
> annectens*, the recorded record holder and long-jawed animal in terms of
> rank and file of tooth positions; *Anatotitan* is I beleive a close
> second, and I may have them backwards, but I was aware that it was
> *annectens* that was the toothier of the two; but hey, they are both
> Lancian edmontosaurs.

I think George may be right. I would think the more robust _Anatotitan_
would have more room in its jaw than _Edmontosaurus annectens_.
The _Edmontosaurus_ jaw I've been working on has 50 grooves in which
columns of teeth of the dental battery would sit. The matrix of other
same site specimens yielded hadrosaur teeth ( e.g.
http://www.mcorriss.com/EdmonTeeth.html ). Placing recovered teeth in
the grooves of the jaw seemed to demonstrate that 5 or maybe 6 (fraction
of a root) teeth would fit per column, and the 2 or 3 most rostral and
the most proximal columns could only fit 3 teeth. Assuming the upper
battery to be similarly constituted that pegs this specimen at around a
thousand teeth. Could _Anatotitan_ have had as many as 2000?, or is that
an extreme round number?

How about the teeth of the larger ceratopians?

-mpc
Michael Patrick Corriss