Re: Sauropod inferences

From: Stephan Pickering <stefanpickering2002@yahoo.com>

Atle Mysterud has, since 1998, been releasing papers investigating >rather thoroughly ungulate social behavior. If one uses a combination >of game/bifurcation theory, and fast-slow dynamics, and supplements >these with Atle's papers, a picture (albeit hazy but rich in >potential) emerges of possible inferred patterns of sauropod >behaviour. His latest paper:
Atle Mysterud, Tim Coulson, N.C. Stenseth, 2002. The
role of males in the dynamics of ungulate populations.
Jour. Animal Ecology 71(6):907-915
I would also recommend:
Atle Mysterud, 2000. The relationship between
ecological segregation and sexual body size dimorphism
in large herbivores. Oecologia 124(1):40-54

Okay, I'll bite: what's so special about ungulate behaviour with regards to that of sauropods? By the sounds of it, I could just as easily infer sauropod behaviours from the herds of trick-or-treaters I saw at my door two nights ago.
And what in the world is "game/bifurcation theory and fast-slow dynamics"?
Cheerio,

Jordan Mallon

Vertebrate Paleontology & Paleoecology

Website: http://www.geocities.com/paleoportfolio/