Re: SUCHOMIMUS = BARYONYX

In a message dated 10/31/02 2:07:41 AM Eastern Standard Time,
Dinogeorge@aol.com writes:

<< To me, two dinosaurs belong in different genera if the average dinosaur
 paleontologist can tell them apart at a glance (assuming they're at the same
 ontological stage and are of the same sex), without resorting to making
 detailed measurements or detailed examinations of skeletal anatomy.
 Contrapositively, if they cannot be told apart at a glance, they very likely
 belong to the same genus; and detailed anatomical examinations and
 measurements (e.g., multivariate analysis) may turn up consistent
differences
 in the hypodigm of the genus that indicate the existence of distinct species
 within the genus. >>

No offense, but this reminds me of the "Thomas Jefferson on horseback" test.

Chip