Determining genera [was SUCHOMIMUS = BARYONYX]

----- Original Message -----
From: <Dinogeorge@aol.com>
To: <dinosaur@usc.edu>
Sent: Saturday, November 02, 2002 12:23 PM
Subject: Re: SUCHOMIMUS = BARYONYX

> In a message dated 11/2/02 1:38:20 PM EST, andyfarke@hotmail.com writes:
>
> << There is an *incredible* amount of
>  variation in ceratopsid skulls--just look at Chasmosaurus! I can easily
>  distinguish many of the individuals belonging to Chasmosaurus belli
simply
>  by differences in horn proportions, snout length, or frill configuration.
By
>  the "gut instinct" criterion, this means they could be separate genera.
>>

> Can you give us a good reason why they should not be in separate genera
after
> all?

Careful examination of a series of specimens, as done by Godfrey and Holmes,
shows that much of this variability falls along a continuum. There really
aren't any good, discrete characters to warrant the separation of the
various Chasmosaurus belli [or Chasmosaurus russelli, or Torosaurus latus,
or whatever taxon you pick] specimens into different genera.
Andrew A. Farke
South Dakota School of Mines and Technology, Box P301
501 E. St. Joseph St.
Rapid City, SD  57701

Phone: 605-394-2817

E-mail: andyfarke@hotmail.com