Re: A critique of Lu et al.'s (2002) Oviraptorosaurs compared to birds

<Any chance the difference between *Citipati* and "*Rinchenia*" is due to
sexual dimorphism?>

  Unlikely, but perhaps. However, one does not usually expect palatal
variation and features relating to the jaw structure to vary due to sex,
just general shapes of things or crests. The postorbital, dentary,
pterygoid, palatine, ectopterygoid, squamosal, and lachrymal in *Oviraptor
mongoliensis* are robust structures and typically fairly short, and the
maxilla is longer with a reduced downward bend from the jugal than in
*Citipati osmolskae*. Makes for some interesting observations. Mine so far
are general to oviraptorids, and I have not yet gotten down to studying
jaw features of species in variation to one another, and wish to hold off
on that until I can get more material and availability and get to AMNH and
the GIN-PC-SPS in Mongolia for further research.

  Cheers,

=====
Jaime A. Headden