From: owner-dinosaur@usc.edu [mailto:owner-dinosaur@usc.edu] On Behalf
Of Jaime A. Headden
Sent: Friday, November 01, 2002 4:36 PM
To: dinosaur@usc.edu
Cc: Dinogeorge@aol.com
Subject: Re: upside down ankylosaurs (jk)

<This is not so far-fetched as it may seem (not counting the repartee,
of
course). Scavenging tyrannosaurids could well have flipped over
ankylosaur
 carcasses to get at the meat. Would have been much less edible going
through  the well-armored dorsal region.>

  I think the idea has merit and may explain things like evolutionarily
increasing trunk width in ankylosaurs to the absence of distinct
predation
in them from anything; however, such as in *Sauropelta* and many of the
body fossils of *Euoplocephalus* found inverted, are they not found in
marine sediments showing not only transportation and deposition
underwater
but also that marine effects on carcasses, such as bloating and
inversion?
Sinking after bloating would retain the relative position unless the
current and depth during the dive was enough to flip the thing over. And
then even still, if upright, wouldn't sinking involve a flipping,
showing
that inverted carcasses were in a deep lacustrine/fluviatile/marine
deposit?

  Cheers,

=====
Jaime A. Headden

  Little steps are often the hardest to take.  We are too used to making
leaps in the face of adversity, that a simple skip is so hard to do.  We
should all learn to walk soft, walk small, see the world around us
rather than zoom by it.