Re: Hadrosaurs etc

A comment or two. . .

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tim Donovan" <msdonovan66@hotmail.com>
To: <rob@dinodomain.com>; <dinosaur@usc.edu>
Sent: Sunday, November 03, 2002 4:14 AM
Subject: Re: Hadrosaurs etc

> > >Hadrosaurs obviously faced a new predator; why are famine and disease
as
> >testable?<
> >Because the point I was making is that your hypothesis ISN'T testable. We
> >can't test Tyrannosaurus sweeping like a Mongolian horde into the
lowlands,

>    This scenario is testable-if a close relative of Tyrannosaurus is found
> in the Horseshoe Canyon, it would be disproven.

I'm not sure about that. . .if I am correct, this argument relies on
correlations between the presence of T. rex and the absence of
lambeosaurines. Correlation does not imply causation. You might be able to
make *suggestions* as to biogeographical and ecological patterns, but it
would be extremely difficult (if not impossible) to prove or disprove
something.

Additionally, the stratigraphy and paleontology of the Horseshoe Canyon
Formation is being reworked by Dave Eberth and crew (see his JVP abstract).
I expect we haven't heard the last word on this unit.

Just my two cents. . .

Andy