Re: Basal non-avian theropod questions

On Tue, 05 Nov 2002 09:16:27
 Nick Gardner wrote:
>Rutger Jansma wrote:
>
>>"Zupaysaurus", Cryolophosaurus and "Saltriosaurus"?
>
>The first and third are unpublished so if anything is known, it probably
>will not be stated.  As for the second, I know at least there is a bashed-up
>skull known and possible postcrania that may be referrable.   I've only seen
>HP Steve Brusatte's (apologies to Steve if I misspelled) images of the
>skull.  I do not recall anyone suggesting the Cryolophosaurus was an
>abelisaurid.  Where did you see that in the archives?

I also have some images of the possible postcrania on my site.  I don't have
Hammer and Hickerson's paper handy, so I don't remember exactly how they deal
with the postcrania.  However, most of their preliminary analysis was based on
the skull, which is one of the most scrambled and smashed fossils I have ever
seen!  I saw the specimen about two years ago, and I was told that one of
Hammer's students was attempting to discern the placement of _Cryolophosaurus_
based only on its vertebrae.  I wonder if this is still in the works...

As for the abelisaurid placement of _Cryolophosaurus_, this was briefly
mentioned by Hammer and Hickerson in their description of the genus, but it
wasn't really expanded on.  It's interesting that HP Holtz doesn't favor a
tetanuran position, as that was what Hammer was advocating when I saw the
specimen.  However, I don't know what Hammer's supporting data was.

And, nope, you spelled my name just fine. :-)

Steve

---
Stephen Brusatte
Geophysical Sciences
University of Chicago
Dino Land Paleontology-http://www.geocities.com/stegob

Outgrown your current e-mail service? Get 25MB Storage, POP3 Access,
Advanced Spam protection with LYCOS MAIL PLUS.