RE: Photos of hadrosaur survival

kevin@pathology.hku.hk writes:

> Zebras kill lions because in order to bring down a zebra a lion needs to
> attack its haunch, which is within the range of the kicking hind legs of the
> zebra. But, the
well-known bite mark on the tail of Edmonton suggests to me that a large
predator such as T. rex could attack their tail regions which are beyond the
reach of their legs. At least i can say the attack on duckbills by T. rex was a
lot safer than attacking the zebras by lions. <

I think you missed my subtle point. Not every lion dies when it attacks a
zebra. ie: They don't screw up. But sometimes... juuuuuust sometimes... things
go bad... really really bad. Tyrannosaurs were not excluded from the mistake
department... If they put themselves into a position within striking distance
of those thick tails or powerful hind feet... and they made a mistake... snap
crackle pop goes the legs. And really, one bite mark... from one animal...
which in effect was just a nip... doesn't mean that THE strategy for
tyrannosaurs was to run around nipping the tails of hadrosaurs as their way of
bringing one of them down. (How did they attack ceratopsians like that?) Even
if you want to say this was a Great White / Elephant Seal (similar sized prey
and predator) strategy going on, it's still off base. White sharks don't nip...
Nipping doesn't immobilize your prey, limiting the chance of injury to the
predator. Nipping means that the predator has to give chase after the!
 frantic, fleeing, thrashing prey White sharks fly in from an ambush and hit
hard and fast, removing a hunk of flesh by creating a deep lacerating wound.
One bite, and it's over. No need to waste energy chasing after a dangerously
powerful seal. The massive and powerful jaws of tyrannosaurs most likely
evolved to deliver a single, decimating, bone crushing bite to some vital area,
such as the hips or spine, of it's dangerously powerful and agile prey, be it
ceratopsian or hadrosaur, that cut right straight through muscle and sinew and
into the bone, removing a nice large chunk of flesh. The result of such massive
trauma would drop the animal in a few heart beats as panic increased the
animal's heart rate, effectively causing it to bleed out in no time. Risky?
Yes. But what predator attacks it's prey risk free? With fire power like
that... why waste energy and expose the tyrannosaur to a greater chance for
injury by only nipping at tails???

Kris