new PS publication

Followers of this list may be interested in the following:

Michal Kowalewski and Patricia H. Kelley (editors), 2002, _The Fossil Record of
Predation_, Paleontological Society Papers Number 8.

Most of the contributions deal with marine invertebrates, but vertebrates get
due notice.  A couple long papers discuss the role of marine vertebrates as
members of marine communities of the Paleozoic and Mesozoic/Cenozoic, with the
general conclusion that vertebrates were pretty much kicking (biting?)
invertebrate butt (in a manner of speaking) big time.  Blaire Van Valkenburgh
and Ian Jenkins have an interesting paper that compares the evolution of large
predator guilds in mammal-like reptiles (THERE!  I actually wrote the phrase
that dare not say its paraphyletic name) and mammals, and the esteemed Dr.
Holtz and I write about the fossil record of predation in dinosaurs.  Gary
Haynes talks about the archaeological evidence for human hunting of large
vertebrates.

As somebody not unfamiliar with the production of books, I am quite impressed
with how nice this volume looks.  There is crisp reproduction of both photos
and line drawings.  It is also VERY cheap:  only $20 for 398 pages of
interesting stuff.  An incredible bargain.

For ordering information, contact:

weyersi@clpgh.org