new PS publication

Followers of this list may be interested in the following:

Michal Kowalewski and Patricia H. Kelley (editors), 2002, _The Fossil Record of
Predation_, Paleontological Society Papers Number 8.

Most of the contributions deal with marine invertebrates, but vertebrates get
due notice.  A couple long papers discuss the role of marine vertebrates as
members of marine communities of the Paleozoic and Mesozoic/Cenozoic, with the
general conclusion that vertebrates were pretty much kicking (biting?)
invertebrate butt (in a manner of speaking) big time.  Blaire Van Valkenburgh
and Ian Jenkins have an interesting paper that compares the evolution of large
predator guilds in mammal-like reptiles (THERE!  I actually wrote the phrase
that dare not say its paraphyletic name) and mammals, and the esteemed Dr.
Holtz and I write about the fossil record of predation in dinosaurs.  Gary
Haynes talks about the archaeological evidence for human hunting of large

As somebody not unfamiliar with the production of books, I am quite impressed
with how nice this volume looks.  There is crisp reproduction of both photos
and line drawings.  It is also VERY cheap:  only $20 for 398 pages of
interesting stuff.  An incredible bargain.

For ordering information, contact: