Jehol/Rehe (was Re: pterosaur paper)

>> > What is the etymology of "Jeholo-"?
>>
>> "Jehol" is the old geographical name for western Liaoning and northern
>> Hebei in China,
>
>But not, as one might think, in Chinese. :-) Must be Manzhu or something...
>in Chinese it's Rehe which can be found in older papers. (This r is evidence
>that the j is supposed to be pronounced as in French, not as in English, let
>alone Chinese. Chinese r is English r and French j said at the same time.)

The 'R' in Rehe and the 'J' in Jehol probably represent the same sound, but in different transliteration systems. The Wade-Giles system (named after two English professors) uses 'j', while the Pinyin (Mandarin for "phoneticize") uses 'r'. AFAIK, the sound has no equivalent in any Western language, hence the confusion. The sound we usually asociate with the the letter 'j' is written 'ch' in the W-G system.
(The W-G system was introduced by the British during the Ching dynasty and is still widely used outside mainland China, the Chinese themselves designed the pinyin system and naturally prefer to use this.)

And quite correct, Jehol(/Rehol?) cannot be a Chinese name: the final 'l' does not exist in Mandarin. :-)

Cheers
Torfinn