Re: Basal non-avian theropod questions

On Mon, 4 Nov 2002 17:37:13
 Fam. Jansma wrote:

>3) While searching throught the Archives, it became clear that no >one had any
>idea where to place Cryolophosaurus a few years back or >so and with all the
>current fuss about cladistic analysis, I >haven't seen any mentioning in the
>recent year about this genus >which suprises me. In the Archives it became
>clear that a number of >position where advocated based on different pieces of
>evidence, >related to the Allosaurus, related to the Abelisauridae or related
>>to the more basal Ceratosauria. Has there been done any recent
>work on Cryolophosaurus and it's position and what was the outcome?

I haven't seen any recent work on _Cryolophosaurus_, but I sorely want to see
something.  Holtz, IIRC, didn't include it as an OTU in his mega 2000 Gaia
matrix (correct me if I'm wrong, Dr. Holtz).  _Cryolophosaurus_ is a really
weird taxon, and there is, to my knowledge, no real consensus position for it.
In their 1994 paper describing it, Hammer and Hickerson offered three
phylogenetic possibilities: it is a ceratosaur that has converged upon later,
larger tetanurans; it is an early large tetanuran with a suite of primitive
features, or it is an abelisaur.  I haven't seen much recent work done on it,
but last time I talked to Hammer he was strongly favoring a tetanuran position.

>4) Are there any pictures of the genera that I could possibly have?

All you'll ever need is right here: :-)
http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/Galaxy/8152/photoscryolophosaurus.html

Steve

---
Stephen Brusatte
Geophysical Sciences
University of Chicago
Dino Land Paleontology-http://www.geocities.com/stegob

Outgrown your current e-mail service? Get 25MB Storage, POP3 Access,
Advanced Spam protection with LYCOS MAIL PLUS.