Re: SAPE Proceedings: papers of mass distraction

Original Message by Jaime A. Headden
Thursday, 7. November 2002 21:39

>   Wow. *Polarornis*, the bird that has to be seen to be beleived.

So do you think it's a loon?

> Chinese/Japanese/Mongolian typography should read, surprising in a Chinese
> publication otherwise:
>
>   Lü [J]unchang, Dong Zhiming, Azuma Yoichi, Barsbold Rinchen, & Tomida
> Yukimitsu.

<warning>
Me Again Playing the Wise-*** Linguist!
</warning>

Not quite. You are correct that Chinese surnames are put before the personal
names. AFAIK that's not the case for Japanese, however. I don't know since
when there are surnames in Japan; in China they are all 3000-year-old clan
names, which is why there are so few*. Vertebrata PalAsiatica, which writes
all surnames in Caps Lock, puts Chinese surnames before and Japanese and
western surnames behind personal names.
        In Chinese it's usually very easy to tell which is which -- with the
exceptions of Ouyang and Sima, (almost?) all surnames have one syllable; most
personal names have two.
        Mongolian is totally different from both. Barsbold is his name. Rinchen
(I
don't like the spelling ch, but well...) is his father's name (as we know
from *"Rinchenia"*). Period. No surname involved. People put their fathers'
names before their own. "I am Odysseus/Ulysses/Ulixes, Laertes' son..."
Currently few Mongolians have surnames. There used to be a few more before
the communists burnt the archives in the '20s; now there are apparently plans
to reintroduce surnames, and those people who won't be able to dig up theirs
from somewhere will be given the opportunity to choose one. Ref: Somewhere
online, in German, I won't find it again.
        While I am at it, in Hungary it's usual to put the surname in front.
But
this is never followed abroad. :-)

* With a few traps. Wang Yuan, Wang Yuanqing and most others are written with
a character that means king; Wang Xiaolin has another. I hope they aren't
pronounced in the same tone.

What is that nomen dubium vel non dubium by Parris & Hope?

And now I'll order Mesozoic Birds and Feathered Dinosaurs, the Origins of
Flight and Gaining Ground. The euro has risen to 1.01 US$. =8-)

BTW, it's Cécile Mourer-Chauviré. And while HP Torfinn Ørmen is correct on
Wade-Giles and Pinyin, I really doubt such a funky sound as Pinyin r occurs
anywhere else. :-) The analogue with a non-English r, the Czech and Sorbian r
with upside-down ^, exists, however (Polish rz once was the same).

"Ching dynasty" is not proper Wade-Giles. That would be Ch'ing, because it's
hard & aspirated, Pinyin q. But everyone constantly forgot the apostrophes.