Re: WHALE HYBRIDS, WEALDEN NEWS

----- Original Message -----
From: <darren.naish@port.ac.uk>
To: <dinosaur@usc.edu>
Sent: Thursday, November 07, 2002 7:31 AM
Subject: WHALE HYBRIDS, WEALDEN NEWS

> On hybrids, Bill Hunt wrote...
>
> --------------------
> The Humpback/Fin hybrid surprises me more, considering
> the mating rituals and accompanying singing that
> Humpbacks engage in. But it confirms that Humpbacks are
> Rorquels, albiet aberrent forms. What became of the
> hybrid?
> --------------------
>
> I'm pretty sure this is incorrect: the hybrid was actually a fin
> x blue. See...
>
> Spilliaert, R., Vikingsson, G., Arnason, U., Palsdottir, A.,
> Sigurjonsson, J. & Arnason, A. 1991. Species hybridization
> between a female Blue whale (_Balaenoptera musculus_)
> and a male Fin whale (_B. physalus_): molecular and
> morphological documentation. _The Journal of Heredity_
> 82, 269-274.

The information I gave said that Blues hybridize with Fin Whales, but it
also gave a report of a Blue/Humpback hybrid.  Here's a copy of my earlier
post:

//Also, now that I've had the chance to reread the paragraph the animal
actually wasn't a Fin/Humpback hybrid but a Blue Whale and Humpback Whale
hybrid, which is even more surprising as a typical Blue is nearly twice the
length of a typical Humpback, and much heavier (a max of 400,000 pounds vs.
90,000 pounds).  The entry is as follows

Page 236-237 "Guide to Marine Mammals of the World"
"Blue Whales are known to occasionally hybridize with Fin Whales, and
unlikely as it would seem given the considerable differences in size and
morphology between the two species, there is one well-documented report of a
Humpback--Blue Whale hybrid from the South Pacific."

I for one wonder if any photos of it exist, the Bottlenose Dolphin/False
Killer Whale hybrid is interesting enough so I can hardly imagine what a
cross between a Blue and Humpback would look like.//