Re: Lu/Lü/Liu

Original Message by Nick Pharris Friday, 8. November 2002 21:50
> Quoting "Jaime A. Headden" <qilongia@yahoo.com>:
> > <10) The paper by Junchang Lui,>
> >
> >   Lü -- I have the paper before me. [...]
>
> I am aware that "Lu" and "Lü" are different.  My question is, is "Liu"
> merely the pinyin transcription for "Lü", or are these distinct as well?

Liu is distinct from Lu and Lü. All three are Pinyin. Lui does not exist.

Ü is rare in Pinyin because most consonants allow only either u or ü after
themselves. Only n and l allow both, and only after them are the dots
written. Why? Maybe it's because of the diacritics that are used for the
tones. You have to cram them into the limited space on top of the ü dots.
This way you have to do that less often. But then nobody writes the
diacritics anyway, like nobody wrote the superscript numbers in Wade-Giles.
        Wade-Giles had e. g. Yüen for what is today Yuan. Junchang would
probably be
Chün-ch'ang in Wade-Giles.

Thanks to HP Andrea Kirk -- maybe I'd better say that the English parts of
Vertebrata PalAsiatica do what I wrote. In the Chinese parts the 2 Japanese
names I've seen so far are written as 4 Chinese characters each, must be some
sort of wholesale translation... ~:-|