Re: Tyrant stuff (no longer ranting) (was RE: Rant (was RE: Details on SVP 20...

> If it was so easy to get across, why are there no ceratopine or
> centrosaurine ceratopians in Asia (for example)? Easy for one means easy
for
> all.

I'm undecided on the on-list land bridge discussion, but I will throw in the
point that just because a land bridge exists doesn't mean that a species
will necessarily utilize it. If a species does utilize it, this doesn't mean
that it will become firmly established (and hence fossilized). Habitat
differences between the two continents may have rendered it difficult for
ceratopsids to become established in Asia (or at least the areas of Asia for
which we have fossiliferous strata). I make this statement with the caveat
that it's pure speculation. The fossil record for Asia *is* pretty patchy.

Looking back to the most recent North American/Asian connection,
antilocaprids and edentates come to mind as well-known groups that never
crossed the land bridge. Of course, I don't know how far north either of
these groups ranged, either (although I do know that Megalonyx made it up to
Alaska). This is mostly speculation, and I'm treading into the realm of
mammals (where my expertise most certainly does not lie). I'd be happy to
hear any other thoughts or corrections.

Andy
Andrew A. Farke
South Dakota School of Mines and Technology, Box P301
501 E. St. Joseph St.
Rapid City, SD  57701

Phone: 605-394-2817

E-mail: andyfarke@hotmail.com