Re: Tyrant stuff (no longer ranting) (was RE: Rant (was RE: Details on SVP 20...

From: "Brian Lauret" <zthemanvirus@hotmail.com>
To: dinosaur@usc.edu
Subject: Re: Tyrant stuff (no longer ranting) (was RE: Rant (was RE: Details on SVP 20...
Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2002 13:16:03 +0000

From: "Tim Donovan" <msdonovan66@hotmail.com>
To: andyfarke@hotmail.com, dinosaur@usc.edu
Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2002 06:10:51 -0500

From: "Andrew A. Farke" <andyfarke@hotmail.com>
To: <dinosaur@usc.edu>
Date: Sat, 9 Nov 2002 13:39:15 -0700

> If it was so easy to get across, why are there no ceratopine or
> centrosaurine ceratopians in Asia (for example)? Easy for one means easy
for
> all.

Habitat
differences between the two continents may have rendered it difficult for
ceratopsids to become established in Asia

This is the best explanation IMHO. Note that taxa which successfully emigrated were broad snouted e.g. ankylosaurids, hadrosaurs, whereas narrow snouted, more selective feeders such as nodosaurs and big ceratopsids may not have found enough of their preferred vegetation to survive in Asia, where the climate was generally more arid.

What happened to Turanoceratops?This had been called a centrosaurine ceratopid wasn't it?

I don't think it was large and it certainly seems to have been an exception in Asia, just like Nothronychus in North America. AFAIK, there were no large ceratopsids, or any at all, in the Nemegt, Wangshi, Tsagayan or Pingling.

MSN Zoeken, voor duidelijke zoekresultaten! http://search.msn.nl/worldwide.asp