Re: More new articles

Senter's abstract contains some curious statements. Whilst crocs don't
possess a VN system they do have paired musk glands in the gular and
paracloacal regions that have a demonstrated role in chemical communication.
Paul Weldon who's done most work on these in crocs describes their role as
"secreting pheromones used in mating and nesting activities". They're
everted during several behavioural events, including fear, aggression and
courtship. The smell is often strong enough for a human to detect.
Chemically, they contain species, sex and even size-specific differences and
there's good experimental evidence that crocs can detect (and use) this
information from these secretions.

I checked with Paul and he confirmed that an animal doesn't need a VNO to
detect phermomones, and conversely having a VNO doesn't automatically imply
that pheromones are used. He did point out that most extant tetrapods do
have a VNO and while crocs don't (and birds probably don't either) there's
plenty of evidence that both use pheromones. Hence it makes no sense to
claim that a lack of a VN system in extinct archosaurs prevented them from
using chemical communication, whether pheromones or not.

I remember checking the script for Big Al and a similar conclusion was
reached (and not just by myself) - there are example of both extant
archosaur groups using pheromones, particularly during courtship, so it's
feasible that some dinosaurs did as well.

Adam Britton