RE: Psittacosaurus bristles

On Thu, 14 Nov 2002 15:28:56
 Daniel Bensen wrote:
>Thanks for the clarification.  So Psittacosaurs (at least of this
>species) did indeed have bristles, which may or may not have simply >been
>elongated scales (if they actually did touch the vertebrae, >the spines would
>have to be bone, themselves, wouldn't they?  But >they sound too flexible to
>be bone) or may have been some type of
>dinofuzz/protofeather, which means that that sort of integument >either
>evolved twice or is primitive for all dinosaurs, if >secondarily lost by many.

Well, I would hold off on saying that all _Psittacosaurus_ species possessed
these strange bristles, just because there are so many species known, and they
vary both in geography and in time.  Also, this guy with bristles has been
designated _Psittacosaurus sp._, mostly because the skull is in ventral view
and crushed (IIRC what HP Holtz said a few months ago).  Actually, it appears
as if the specimen really is quite distorted, and that causes problems with
both a species designation and with trying to determine exactly what these
structures are.

>I like HP Jansma's cricket idea.  African porcupines _do_ use their
>spines to make noise (some of the spines are especially adapted for >this
>purpose).  Good old sexual advertisement is another possibility.

It's a nice sounding idea, but who knows?  I hate speculating on possible
functions of structures, but if the preliminary reconstructions provided by the
authors are correct, these structures might have been some sort of defensive
adaptation.  The reason I say this is that these bristles appear to parallel
the ossified tendons seen in some _Psittacosaurus_ specimens.  This was briefly
discussed onlist this summer, but the fact that both ossified tendons (which
indicate a strengthened back/tail) and bristles are known at least makes it
possible that they were some sort of defensive structure.

Of course, we have one crushed specimen that has only been preliminarily
described.  All of these functions are possibilities, but we simply can't tell
for certain.

Steve

---
Stephen Brusatte
Geophysical Sciences
University of Chicago
Dino Land Paleontology-http://www.geocities.com/stegob

Outgrown your current e-mail service? Get 25MB Storage, POP3 Access,
Advanced Spam protection with LYCOS MAIL PLUS.