From: <Kashman7@aol.com>
To: <dinosaur@usc.edu>
Cc: <Kashman7@aol.com>
Sent: Friday, November 15, 2002 10:08 AM
Subject: Re: Mass Extinction

> Lest we forget the Deccan Traps along with accompanying K-T age-matching
> smaller extraterrestrial hits, could the former have been started/caused
by

> such a strike which got out of hand causing a different type of reaction
in

> the differing, non-sedementary geology of India?

>No, because the Deccan volcanism began about 400,000 years before the K-T
>(and ended about 300,000 years after it).

> I'm just wondering, what is the accuracy of the dating methods used for
> geologic events in the 65 mya timeframe. Because all you'd need is a .6%
> error in either of the dates and the'd occur at the same time.

> Good point. OK, let's throw out all absolute data. There's a place in the
> Deccan where the K-T boundary layer (with iridium and so on) lies in
> intertrappean sediments.

I'm thinking that the Deccan Traps, even if beginning several hundred
thousand years before the K-T Boundary were doing tremendous ecological
damage to the planet. An ebb in or a temporary stoppage of the flows, as
stated above, may have coincided with a K-T strike. Between the previous
damage to flora and fauna and the last straw of Chixulub, that's "all" it
may
have needed to push dangerously low populations over the line to extinction.
Does it explain everything, such as survival of birds, crocs and
salamanders?
No. But if Chixulub and supposed associated strikes were still looked upon
as
inadequate, they are thereby augmented.

kashman7@aol.com