[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index][Subject Index][Author Index]

Re: Just wanted to say hello



Hi Rita

    I'm kinda like you.  I spend more time lurking and reading the posts
than posting myself, as you say, because I don't want to sound too ignorant.
I may jump in from time to time when the conversation turns to contemporary
Marine Biology, Zoology or Ecology, something that I do know something
about.  

    I don't know of any dinosaur digs at the moment.  However, I have a
friend in Florida; Brian Evensen who is currently involved in a Megatherium
(Giant Ground Sloth) dig, and I spent about a week this summer helping him
out.  Not nearly as glamourous as it sounds.   The bones were discovered
initially during excavation for a new building in St Pete.  Construction
couldn't wait so they hauled all the bone bearing sediment to an empty lot a
few blocks away and dumped it there.  This of course would horrify most
professional paleontologists; as the bones are now jumbled and broken and
out of context.  But this is soft sandy soil, and Brian still has access to
the original site if any thing else comes out.  So, there is about a quarter
acre of piles of sandy soil containing the fragmented remains of 3 Giant
Ground Sloth; 2 adults and a juvenile.  It's a bit like sifting thru the box
of Grape Nuts looking for the prize, on a massive scale.  You would be
amazed at the amount of bone material that he has already recovered.
Working slow and steady he may bring home a half a bucket full of bone
fragments for 6 or 8 hours of effort.   Behind his house the bits and pieces
are sorted and laid out on long tables where they are slowly being
reassembled.  He welcomes all the volunteer help he can get, so if you are
anywhere near Florida and you would like to get your hands and knees dirty,
I would be happy to put you in touch with him.

    Brian has spent his life in Florida collecting Pliestocine fossils and
artifacts, and his collection rivals some University collections there.  In
fact some of the stuff that he has found has ended up in the University
collections.  For example, he has the only Short Bow known from the Ponce
DeLeon expedition from the 15th century.  And much much more, from sharks
teeth to Calusa Indian spear points knapped out of fossilized coral, to
Glyptodont scutes to a complete Smiledon skull.  While he is not degreed, he
is very knowledegable and is frequently consulted by the University
professionals there.   OK,  I'd better stop now as I have mentioned nothing
at all about Dinosaurs in this post.  Oops, I guess I just did.  -  Bill

Bill & Rebecca Hunt
Hunt Wildlife Studios
119 Bierstadt Ct
Livermore,  CO  80536
970-484-0894
e-mail;  bill@huntstudios.com
Web;  http://www.huntstudios.com

> From: FANTASYWRITER@sbcglobal.net
> Reply-To: FANTASYWRITER@sbcglobal.net
> Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2002 16:14:09 -0500
> To: <dinosaur@usc.edu>
> Subject: Just wanted to say hello
> 
> I just joined this list because I have long had a love
> for and enjoyment of anything having to do with
> dinosaurs and paleontology. If I'd had my head on
> straight as a kid, I would have gone into it -- but I
> didn't and now it's way too late. However, I can still
> enjoy learning.
> 
> I won't be posting much here because I hate sounding
> stupid -- but I will be lurking and enjoying your
> posts and learning more about our favorite critters.
> 
> Okay, so I am about to sound stupid. Please forgive
> me. How does one go about getting a job on a dig? I
> don't mean anything as advanced as finding and digging
> up fossils -- but surely there's some use to which a
> dino lover with a little brains can be put like
> hauling dirt away from the dig, cleaning tools,
> getting coffee -- whatever.
> 
> I do know a little about computers and I am a writer.
> Useful on a dig or no?
> 
> I am desperate to actually be there (anywhere!) when a
> discovery is made or even if there are just nice
> possibilities and no fossils yet. I want to do that
> someday before I die. Hopefully, that won't be any
> time soon, but you know what I mean.
> 
> Any place for volunteers? Oh, my husband would want to
> go, too.
> 
> Rita
> 
> 
>