From: owner-dinosaur@usc.edu [mailto:owner-dinosaur@usc.edu] On Behalf
Of FANTASYWRITER@sbcglobal.net
Sent: Friday, November 15, 2002 6:54 PM
To: dinosaur@usc.edu
Subject: How do you feel about this?

Of course I was delighted when someone here suggested
I check Google to find digs that will accept the help
of amateurs like me. It would be so wonderful to be
there for a find -- let alone to dig one up myself!
Gods! What heaven.

However, some of these tourist outfits that do this
don't sound very professional to me. More than one
actually sells fossils. Gods only know how these
amateurs (like me) are ripping up the ground and
ruining possible dig sites for the professionals. And
how about record keeping? Do they even record where
these fossils came from, how they were situated in the
ground and all that?

How do you all feel about this? I know some of you are
professionals. Do these amateur outfits damage future
digs and what about selling fossils? Is that ethical?
I'd like to think that if I actually found something,
it would go to a museum where everyone could see and
enjoy it.

This bothers me. I'd love your opinions.

Rita