Re: The Final Days

> Small weedy flowering plants came into
> existence some time into the Cretaceous, too, and I was referring to them.
> These also evolved into shrubs and small trees not normally associated with
> large forests and probably served as the main menu for low-feeding
> dinosaurs.

I see. How much undergrowth there is depends heavily on the canopy. In fir
forests there is practically no undergrowth because very little light reaches
the ground. In beech forests, on the same mountain, there's lots of
undergrowth because pretty much light reaches the ground. -- Undergrowth
pollen and leaves have relatively low fossilization potential because they
won't be carried into the next body of water as easily as those of high
trees. And then of course pollen shapes vary a lot between relatively small
plant clades. Means, if we don't find a twig with leaves and blossoms with
pollen still in them, we don't know how many extinct clades looked like.
Everybody knows *Aquilapollenites* was an angiosperm, nobody can tell
anything more precise AFAIK.