Types of Types

Dinogeorge....

I don't have the ICZN 1999 edition in front of me but OTOMH:

Syntype: **no longer recognized by ICZN**

Type series: collection of specimens in original description. (somewhat like
'syntype' when it existed)

Lectotype: If no holotype was specified but there was a type series
("syntypes" of older lingo), a lectotype can be designated. This is the new
'type' specimen, and has to have been in the original type series (i.e.
differs from holotype b/c it wasn't designated in the original description).

Paralectotype: after a lectotype has been designtated, all the other
specimens in the original type series are now paralectotypes ("leftovers").
(this **is** a valid term according to the current ICZN)

Plesiotype: **no longer recognized**. I believe 'paralecto' is the
appropriate term now.