Re: Types of Types

Dann Pigdon (dannj@alphalink.com.au) wrote:

<What is a holotype based only on a cast of the original? I seem to
remember Kakuru being referred to as a "plastitype" or something similar.>

  This is a plastoholotype, and can only be used if there is not "true"
fossil available. Same for casts of destroyed footprints if they are types
of anything. But in this case, I do not think the infillings of cynodont
burrows count as plastoholotypic, as they are natural and not artificial.

  Cheers,

=====
Jaime A. Headden