Feather formula for fossil flyers? Second attempt.

Hello all,

I don't know how it happened but my first attempt to ask this question turned into an ad for spam protection! Musta pressed the wrong button.  My apolgies for wasting time, bandwidth, etc.

And now, the real question, AGAIN......How does one work out the size of remiges on extinct, volant birds where no feather impressions are preserved?  Is there any formula, equation or rule of thumb that allows you to plug in wing bone measurements and come up with the size of the flight feathers, or is this something that has to be determined by comparison with extant birds with  (presumably) shared lifestyle and flight characteristics?

 Thanks in advance,
 Bruce.