Re: New issue of Paleontology

On Wed, 20 Nov 2002 19:10:34
 Alessandro Marisa wrote:
>2_Allain R. and Chure D.J. 2002 Poekilopleuron buchlandi, the theropod
>dinosaur from the Middle Jurassic (Bathonian) of Normandy.
>Follow the abstract:
>Poekilopleuron bucklandii, described by Eudes-Deslongchamps in 1838, is one
>of the earliest discovered dinosaurs. Although incomplete, it is one of the
>best preserved Middle Jurassic theropods known from Europe. Unfortunately,
>the only specimen of P. bucklandii, housed in the Musée de la Faculté des
>Sciences de Caen, was destroyed during World War II. However, casts of some
>parts of the type skeleton have been found in the collections of the Museum
>National d'Histoire Naturelle, Paris. Allain and Chure use this casts and
>Eudes-Deslongchamps' monograph to redescribe the specimen. They found that
>Poekilopleuron shares one synapomorphy with the Spinosauroidea and
>tentatively assign it to that clade. Allain and Chure examine also the
>synonymy between Poekilopleuron and Megalosaurus and conclude that
>Megalosaurus is a nomen dubium and that the name should be restricted to the
>type dentary.

Ah, great.  I've been waiting for this one.  Hopefully the library here
receives the issue soon enough.  In any event, although Allain and Chure regard
_Megalosaurus_ as a nomen dubium, do they still refer to clade names such as
Megalosauridae, etc.?  I assume they do, seeing as Allain defined various
Megalosaurus-based clades on other taxa (_Poelkilopleuron_, _Afrovenator_) in
his recent JVP paper.

Steve

---
Stephen Brusatte
Geophysical Sciences
University of Chicago
Dino Land Paleontology-http://www.geocities.com/stegob

Outgrown your current e-mail service? Get 25MB Storage, POP3 Access,
Advanced Spam protection with LYCOS MAIL PLUS.