Re: Albisaurus

In a message dated 11/22/02 12:04:31 PM Pacific Standard Time,
TiJaWi@agron.iastate.edu writes:

<< As I understand it, _Albisaurus scutifer_ is a junior objective synonym of
 _Iguanodon albinus_ >>

I said they were >almost< synonyms; I should rather have said "almost
objective synonyms." Fritsch added an osteoderm to the type partial limb bone
of Iguanodon albinus to create a type series for the species he named
Albisaurus scutifer. To be a junior objective synonym, a species must have
exactly the same type specimen as its senior synonym, so Iguanodon albinus
and Albisaurus scutifer are not objective synonyms. In this case, however,
they may become objective synonyms if the limb bone is declared the lectotype
of Albisaurus scutifer, something I'm not inclined to do because the name
"scutifer" clearly refers to the osteoderm rather than the limb bone.