Re: Albisaurus

Vladimír Socha (Seismosaurus@seznam.cz) wrote:

<Antonín Friè was a czech, so his name is ending with -è. However, he
lived in the time of Austrian (Habsburk) monarchy, and at that time,
almost every scientific work was written in german language. And he
accomodated his name to Fritsch, so that it would be more easy to read for
(Wien) germans. Pronounciation is almost the same.>

  Sorta like how Carl von Linné, a Swede, got transformed into Carolus
Linnaeus to suit the (at the time) convention of formal Latin _everything_
in science. Yang Zhang-jian becam Young Chang-chin, or C.C. Young, to suit
the English language, by similar means. The Americanization of European
names (I dare to use the word "butcher") into "American-sounding" names
during the early-last-century immigrations through Ellis Island is
similar. Müller (Mueller) became Miller, and so forth. Take harder names,
like the Welsh and Czeck and Hungarian names, or even Polish, and you get
similar stories.

  Cheers,

=====
Jaime A. Headden