Re: Prehistoric Plankton Predators (PPP for short)

Dino Rampage (dino_rampage@hotmail.com) wrote:

<Are there any giant plankton-feeders from the Mesozoic? It really seems
odd to me that throughout the Mesozoic, no animal seemed to take advantage
of  the plankton & grow to a huge size. Just look at our modern-day
oceans: Among the elasmobranchs we have the Whale Shark (Rhincodon typus)
the Basking Shark (Cetorhinus maximus) & the Megamouth Shark (Megachasma
pelagios) the various species of Mobula & Manta rays, (Mobula sp. & Manta
sp.) The teleosts have provided us with the Ocean Sunfish (Mola sp.), and
let's not forget the 10-13 species of Mysticete or baleen whales.>

  It is somewhat a likelihood that the large (~10m) croc *Stomatosuchus*
(= *Stromerosuchus*) from the Cenomanian of Egypt (Baharija Formation) was
planktonivorous, but it is found in paralic (mangrove) waters, not open
sea. *Stomatosuchus* is edentulous and the mandibles are widely separated
fro most of their length, providing a large, expansive gular pouch, with
long and wide jaws. This animal had an impressive gape.

  Cheers,

=====
Jaime A. Headden