Re: Mongolian Transcription (Bataar vs. Baatar)

I will take the rest of the discussion offline, save for this part which
concerns dinosaurs somewhat. The linguistic trend of the thread is likely
not of much interest to readers save for the very few of us, such as Nick,
David, or myself, that love this kind of stuff.

<And there you have it. All those multi names, including *Ameribaatar* and
*Albionbaatar*, have the aa in front. *T. bataar* is an isolated case of>
institutionalized misspelling. *Sloanbaatar*, *Bulganbaatar
nemegtbaataroides*, *Kryptobaatar*, *Tugrigbaatar* (from Tögrögiyn shiree,
I assume), *Kamptobaatar*, *Chulsanbaatar*, *Nemegtbaatar*, *Buginbaatar*
(from Bügiyn tsav), all these are listed the 1992 book with the Mongolian
map, without one deviation in the usage of aa. And of course in that map
it says Ulaanbaatar in Cyrillic.>

  Despite this, the spelling of each name listed is incorrect regarding
the initial nomenclature. Each of these names, even those taxa named in
America, end in -bataar. Whatever book you have that lists it the other
way around is screwed up or an attempt to "fix" nomenclature according to
another system. The Mongolian language is flexible even to the Mongolians,
and it is a joke that Mike Novacek writes about and Mark Norell has spoken
of to me that Mongolian "last names" are as easily flexible, even from the
named.

  The double a is a stress on the vowel sound, as appears in the double u
of *Shuvuuia*, which is approximated in some transcriptions with
diacritics. Hence ö for what is normally a "oo" with stress, as in
American "book", or "uu" in other stranscriptions. An extended, low "ah"
sound becomes "aa" and this can be stressed on either symbol. I never said
"baatar" was wrong, nor am I saying "bataar" is right, I was saying the
one could be followed based on taxonomic stress. Obviously, the normal way
of saying "khan" is wrong, and the stress when alone is on a long,
stressed "a", hence "khaan"; then there's spellings for the great Mongol
himself, Temujin, or his other name, Jengis, which I've seen no less than
five spellings for, including the popular Genghis.

  Cheers,

=====
Jaime A. Headden