Re: New Refs: The Condor & the ongoing problem of nomina dubia

Stephan Pickering (stefanpickering2002@yahoo.com) wrote:

<No, there is not...just as there is no scientifically valid way of
looking at an isolated bone, and, aside from plesiomorphic similarities to
other specimens, extrapolating the ecomorphologies of the entire animal.
It may make for pages in a journal being covered with type, but the fact
remains, e.g., that an isolated, single humerus is just that: it may be
similar to a reasonably complete skeleton with humeri so as to provide a
template of speculation, yet the humerus should not be given a scientific
name. This new humerus is [sic] a nomen dubium.>

  I am sorry, but I have yet to see a scientific premise behind the
statement or any data to support it that a single bone cannot, much less
this one element, be scientifically looked at or useful taxonomically?
What data have you to further consider the name applied to the humerus,
not the humerus itself, as a nomen dubium?

  Cheers,

=====
Jaime A. Headden