Re: Marine reptile reproduction

At 23.24 23/11/02 +0800, dino_rampage@hotmail.com wrote:
How did marine reptiles reproduce? Is there any evidence for live-bearing in placodonts, "nothosaurs" & pachypleurosaurs?
There is a relatively old paper in Science by Sander (ref. not at hand, but I may search for) on a supposed nothosaurid embryo, and I have a (co-authored) paper accepted by JVP (I really don't know when it will be out) in which an analysis of some tiny (very likely) embryos *may* support viviparity at least in some "nothosaurs".

Cheers,

Silvio Renesto

_ "When they hear of the Way, The highest minds hurry up to practice it; The average minds think about it They sometimes feel it real and sometimes not; The lowest minds laugh at it. If they did not laugh at it, It would not be the Way."

                                (Lao Tzu)

Silvio Renesto

Dipartimento di Scienze della Terra
Università degli Studi di Milano