Re: Linnaeus --> von Linne (was RE: Albisaurus)

Tommy Tyrberg wrote:

> The custom of latinizing names was quite common in Europe in the Middle
> Ages and up to the eighteenth century...

I believe the Neander Valley was named after an eccentric German called
Newman (that's the English spelling, probably not the original German)
who called himself Neander (literally "new man"). It was only later that
hominid remains were found there. Hence Neanderthal - meaning "Neander
Valley", and also (coincidently) "valley of the new man". Spooky...