Re: Mongolian Transcription (Bataar vs. Baatar)

----- Original Message -----
From: <Dinogeorge@aol.com>
To: <dinosaur@usc.edu>
Sent: Thursday, November 28, 2002 4:48 PM
Subject: Re: Mongolian Transcription (Bataar vs. Baatar)

> This is very interesting, as it shows that the Russian word for a heroic
> warrior, "bogatyr," and the Mongolian word for the same, "baatar," are
> closely related. In Russian the "gh" was apparently not dropped but actually
> hardened to a "g."

Yes, it's the same word, and it can be found as a cultural loan across Central
Asia and eastern Europe, from Hindi (bahâdur 'brave, gallant') to Polish
(bohater 'hero', from Ukrainian bohatyr) and Hungarian (bátor 'fearless'). Its
sheer geographical range testifies to the power of the Mongolians in the Middle
Ages. Sorry for even more linguistic stuff, but since I'm actually a linguist,
the temptation to explain it all is just too strong :)

Piotr