re: Fukui memoirs, pterosaur paper

First of all let me apologize for my previous post header in which I
misspelled "unguals." I promise it won't be the last time I
misssspellllll something.

Secondly, one of the Fukui memoirs recently noted on the Dino List was
by Lü 2002: Soft tissue in an Early Cretaceous pterosaur from Liaoning
Province, China. So I had to look.

The specimen is a nearly complete basal pterodactyloid with some wing,
neck and pedal membrane preservation. It is a twisted roadkill lacking
one wing and the skull. Despite the surprisingly robust antebrachium the
radius and ulna are cracked in half as a unit. The pelves and sternal
complex contribute to a general mess in the lower torso. A long series
of tail bones are visible. Lü interpreted the wing as having an
elongated phalanx  one and a missing phalanx four, but missing matrix
and cladistics suggests that his phalanx "one" is actually one + two. So
his "three" is probably four and the wing is complete.

Lü interpreted a large expanse of wing membrane as attached to the
tibia, in the tradition of Jeholopterus and Sordes, and as presently
described in the literature. Grrr. This probably isn't true in any case
as an upcoming paper in Historical Biology will demonstrate. I am told
it will be out by the end of this year. (Fingers crossed.)

I just hated to see that deep-wing paradigm continue unanswered. More
later.

David Peters
St. Louis