re: Fukui memoirs, pterosaur paper

David Peters (davidrpeters@earthlink.net) wrote:

<Lü interpreted a large expanse of wing membrane as attached to the tibia,
in the tradition of Jeholopterus and Sordes, and as presently described in
the literature. Grrr. This probably isn't true in any case as an upcoming
paper in Historical Biology will demonstrate. I am told it will be out by
the end of this year. (Fingers crossed.)>

  It is my understanding that numerous specimens show the wing articulated
to the ankle, wether the wings was narrow or deep, but that some
pterosaurs may have, for aerodynamic purposes, moved the wing to the hip.
However, at least Dendrorhynchoides and specimens of Rhamphorhynchus show
the ankle articulation and a large area of skin and hair around this,
which would go to show the membrane was in fact attached at the leg in
these forms. That there was a variuability in position is something I have
seen little mention of in discussions on the issue, rather a ankle-yes
versus ankle-no argument between people who look at the fossils. What is
likely is that no pteros had a deep wing, but rather a narrow wing, and
depending on ecology, the placement of the ankle could shift. One sees
this in bats fairly often.

  To illustrate my ideas, I composed a short webpage on the topic:

  http://qilong.8m.com/pterosaurwings.html

  so feel free to quote back on the subject in there and I will gladly
discuss this. If some could offer images of detail work on the integument,
I will gladly also use these to flesh this out into a more detailed page
that I may choose to involve in the website itself. Until then,

  Cheers,

=====
Jaime A. Headden